Discussion Forum

This place is an open environment for both class related topics as well as other things you wish to discuss or share about the English language and culture, learning, meaning of life, books, movies etc. To start a discussion thread, click the button Add topic below. If you wish to join an existing thread, click on the link Discuss this topic. 

Each module will feature topic-related discussion in connection to what we do in class, face to face. Each discussion will have different moderators. You will be divided into groups and will take turns in:

• finding the angle to cover the topic
  • starting the discussion,
  • finding relevant content to illustrate the topic
  • moderating the discussions and keep the conversation going.

We will work out the groups and schedule in class. This is a graded activity, as well as participating in the discussions.

Use the following conventions when composing a discussion post:

1. During a Discussion assignment, deadlines for posting to and replying will be specified with each assignment. It is a good practice to always check the Discussions multiple times during the week.
  2. If you want to send a personal message to the instructor or to another student, use a message service such as e-mail rather than the discussions.
  3. Use the appropriate Subject line, something that is descriptive and refer to a particular assignment or discussion topic when applicable. Some assignments will specify the subject heading.
  4. Be patient. Don’t expect an immediate response when you send a message.
  5. Everyone should feel free to participate in class and online discussions. Regular and meaningful discussion posts constitute a substantial portion of your grade.
  6. Respect each other’s ideas, feelings and experience.
  7. Be courteous and considerate. It is important to be honest and to express yourself freely, but being considerate of others is just as important and expected online, as it is in the classroom.
  8. Explore disagreements and support assertions with data and evidence.
  9. Do not use postings such as "I agree," "I don’t know either," "Who cares," or "ditto." They do not add to the discussion, take up space on the Discussions, and will not be counted for assignment credit.
  10. Avoid posting large blocks of text. If you must, break them into paragraphs and use a space between paragraphs.

More advice on polite and professional communication can be found in the Syllabus, chapter 5.2 Netiquette

Picture of Aleksandra Jovic
10.7 Your favourite TV show
by Aleksandra Jovic - Monday, 30 March 2015, 3:46 PM

I love to watch TV, it's my favourite way to spend free time. I love comedies and crime shows the most. 

My favourite comedies are Big bang theory and Friends. Friends is old show, but it makes me laugh every time. Big bang theory is kind of nerdy with lots of mentioning of star trek and star wars and different computer games. I'm interested in that that's why I like it. 

My favourite crime show is Silent witness, BBC show about Nikki Alexander and her team of forensic scientists and medical examiners. It's a long running show and it's great that it shows life in London in modern times, also the cases are very interesting. Here is the trailer:

What about you? What shows do you like to watch? What can you recommend?

Picture of Anita Jankovic
9.6 Adrian Mole Soundtrack
by Anita Jankovic - Tuesday, 24 March 2015, 5:21 PM

Make a soundtrack for the book by choosing 3 to 5 popular songs. For each song, explain in at least one sentence why you chose the song and how it relates to the events or characters in the book.  You can use quotes if you want to. Write the full name of the song and the band/singer. If you wish, you can include a Youtube link as well.

Picture of Katarina Savkovic
Signing off an Email
by Katarina Savkovic - Sunday, 15 March 2015, 2:15 PM

Since we have all been in a situation which required writing a proper email, we all know that sometimes it can be difficult to think of an appropriate sign off. I've come across a link that has been very useful to me, so I decided to post it here. Maybe you'll find it helpful, too.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/09/27/57-ways-to-sign-off-on-an-email/

7.7 Stress - friend or foe
by Anita Jankovic - Monday, 16 February 2015, 12:47 AM

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines stress as a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances. We generally use the word "stress" when we feel that everything seems to have become too much - we are overloaded and wonder whether we really can cope with the pressures placed upon us.

What stresses you out and how you deal with it? How do you respond to stress? What activities or strategies help you relieve stress? 

Do you believe stress can be your friend? Watch the video below in which a health psychologist puts forward a radical, startling research finding: Instead of fearing stress, befriend it. Share what you think about this.

6.10 Highschool vs. university
by Anita Jankovic - Monday, 22 December 2014, 12:20 AM

So, you've survived your first semester at the University, you are now experienced freshmen. Think back to your high school and tell us in what ways it is different from university. How is life different when you're a student? What is the difference between highschool teachers and university professors? Are the rules different? What do you think about the image? 

Structure your post carefully and make sure you support your opinion with arguments and specific examples.

After you post your answer, please read what others have posted and give comment.

Finally, remember to review course policy on participating in discussion forums in the description of this Forum.

Picture of Edis Kotro
What do you think about death penalty ?
by Edis Kotro - Sunday, 21 December 2014, 7:28 PM

I think by killing someone, you achieve nothing, probably just nightmares or something even worse.For example, serial killers should be forever in prison because they don't deserve to be killed, they need to see how it is when you have no freedom and no life at all.

What do you think ?

Picture of Nikola Kragovic
5.9 Is the life better in the village or in the city?
by Nikola Kragovic - Saturday, 20 December 2014, 10:14 AM

I would say city. Because there are much more people to spend your time and everything is near you.

What do you think? 

Can you identify the plural of these 14 tough words?
by Anita Jankovic - Thursday, 11 December 2014, 7:38 PM

Here's some more test practice. Try your knowledge and skills with this quiz: http://www.quizfreak.com/can-you-identify-the-plural-of-these-14-tough-words/index.html

Let us know how well you did :)

Picture of Tijana Gusnic
Your general opinion about soft drugs
by Tijana Gusnic - Saturday, 6 December 2014, 12:05 PM

Soft drugs usage - yes or not and have you ever used soft drugs?  

Give us your opinion ,and join us in the discussion. 

:)
Books vs electronic readers
by Slobodanka Djordjevic - Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 7:18 PM

Traditional books vs New technology? What do you think is better? :)

(Edited by Anita Jankovic - original submission Sunday, 23 November 2014, 7:39 PM)

Picture of Miljana Djorovic
3.8 National stereotypes in Europe
by Miljana Djorovic - Monday, 10 November 2014, 11:47 PM

Since stereotypes exist for every country, we'll be focusing on Europe.

First of all, I'd like to ask you if you believe in stereotypes and how truthful you think they are. Then, you're free to write about any country and people living there.

Of course, you can express your opinion or if you met a foreigner, even better-share with us your experience with them.

Picture of Marija Pavlovic
2.7 Life priorities
by Marija Pavlovic - Sunday, 9 November 2014, 1:27 AM

Priorities in my life are: Family, love, frends, career.

Of course we do not have all of the same priorites in life, as we do not look  the same in life, as well the things as that happen to us.

For me, family is the greatest wealth.

Leo Tolstoy said, " All happy familyes resemble one anather,each unhappy family is unhappy on its own way." You might find myself in this...

Aanother priority in my life, if not one of the greatest is love. Love is my biggest driver of motive. Love make me stronger, bolder,more secure. Love inspires me in one world.

Friends are certainly people without whom i could not, i would not. A true friends knows to be with " you", The Vow. It is a feature of frue frendship.

A carier that would have been the literal sense and in my opinion should have all of the previous priorities, in order experince the true meaning! :)

Picture of vladimir dimic
2.7 Cats VS Dogs
by vladimir dimic - Saturday, 8 November 2014, 1:50 PM

One is cute the other loyal witch do u prefer?

cat1   dog2

Picture of Vladimir Aleksic
Life priorities
by Vladimir Aleksic - Thursday, 6 November 2014, 8:55 PM

Family,love,career, friends? 

Which are yours?

Between you and me
by Anita Jankovic - Sunday, 26 October 2014, 5:37 PM

The first language poll hiding behind a photo of a girl holding a card which says "What do you think?" asked you when to use "You and I" and when to use "You and me".

75% of respondents opted for "People like you and I aren't responsible for the economic crisis." as the correct sentence. And they were correct!

You can read/listen to the explanation here: Grammar Girl: Between you and me

Picture of Jelena Stefanovic
Introduction
by Jelena Stefanovic - Tuesday, 21 October 2014, 1:57 PM

I am a great hedonist, I love all kinds of chocolate, horror movies, and I adore the sun.

Picture of Aleksandra Vajer
Introduction
by Aleksandra Vajer - Sunday, 19 October 2014, 11:01 PM

I am very active person,I like having fun and drinking coffee,playing volleyball (like a hobby) and spending time with kids.

Picture of Aleksandar Todorovic
Simplified learning
by Aleksandar Todorovic - Sunday, 19 October 2014, 1:33 PM

I've just found out this site which has many explanations for english language grammar or just about anything else related to it. Check it out!

http://www.engames.eu/

1.5 Introductions
by Anita Jankovic - Thursday, 25 September 2014, 9:51 PM

Let's get to know each other, but with a twist. Introduce yourself in 140 characters or less. Here's a website that will count the characters for you before you post http://charactercounttool.com/ 

Here is my intro as an example: Ed-tech enthusiastic English teacher. Teaching EAP at the University of Pristina. Avid reader and TV series watcher. Sci-Fi and horror fan.

Looking forward to reading your intros.