Discussion Forum

Books vs electronic readers

:)
Books vs electronic readers
by Slobodanka Djordjevic - Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 7:18 PM

Traditional books vs New technology? What do you think is better? :)

(Edited by Anita Jankovic - original submission Sunday, 23 November 2014, 7:39 PM)

Picture of Katarina Savkovic
Re: New topic
by Katarina Savkovic - Sunday, 23 November 2014, 9:40 PM

Great topic, Slobodanka.
I think we are getting a bit overwhelmed with all the technology nowadays. I believe it is neither safe, nor reliable, as many people claim. I would choose reading a book over sitting in front of my computer (or using a smart phone to read) any time. My reasons? Preserving my eyes' health, avoiding back pain and not having to worry about system errors' or whether the data on my phone/ PC is going to be lost.

Picture of Milica Jovanovic
by Milica Jovanovic - Sunday, 23 November 2014, 11:14 PM

I prefer traditional books because I can't look at the monitor for too long, and I don't enjoy technology. that much.

Picture of Julija Toman
by Julija Toman - Monday, 24 November 2014, 6:38 PM

I think that both traditional books and new technology, like most things, have advantages and disadvantages and what you are going to use depends also a lot on your needs and resources.

At this time I would like to say that I like new technology because it can be very convenient when I study. For example, I can copy/paste sentences or parts of a book and make my own summaries faster, or find particular parts that I need with the search option. Also, there is no need to turn pages back and forth when doing exercises and checking for the right answers.

I try adjusting the font size and the background light when my eyes feel strained. Sometimes it helps for a period of time.

Picture of Tijana Gusnic
by Tijana Gusnic - Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 5:57 PM

Although i think that the new technology is more usefull today I am more for books, because I really love to read. I would spend hours reading the book then in front of lap top or TV. :)

Picture of Anita Jankovic
Re: Books vs electronic readers
by Anita Jankovic - Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 7:26 PM

Do you know about Bio Optical Organized Knowledge?

by Anita Jankovic - Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 7:42 PM

I'm a bit neurotic reader, so I don't discriminate between the means. I love paper books, I love owning them, renting them from the library, smelling them, organizing them on the shelf,even taking photos of them. 

However, I also love electronic books both for reading and listening. They are easier to obtain in large quantities, very often for free. My Kindle app currently stores 318 books and about 40 periodicals. In addition, I use Wattpad app which features young, new writers who offer their novels for free to the community and encourage the feedback and discussion from their readers.

Moreover, I'm in love with audio books. I believe being read to is simply beautiful. Most of the books are read by professional actors or even authors themselves. You can't beat that. 

To sum up, I see the emerging technologies as enriching the reading experience not hindering it.

by Anita Jankovic - Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 7:44 PM

Speaking of photographing the books, check out a collection of photos that resulted from a Facebook challenge: Exposing Toys Secretly Reading

I would like to invite you to join the challenge and submit a photo.

Picture of Nikola Kragovic
by Nikola Kragovic - Wednesday, 26 November 2014, 11:46 PM

New technology is my choice here, I am great fan of computers and technology, but also I like to have books on my shelf..but only books I really like ..no others :D

Picture of Jovana Simijonovic
by Jovana Simijonovic - Saturday, 29 November 2014, 12:44 AM

I am more for a traditional books. A good book doesn't radiate or make damage to our health. So, i'm always for a good book.

Picture of Aleksandra Vajer
by Aleksandra Vajer - Thursday, 4 December 2014, 10:10 PM

I prefer traditional books...it is special feeling reading them...

Picture of Edis Kotro
by Edis Kotro - Sunday, 7 December 2014, 4:15 PM

New technology is good I mean it's really good stuff, but while you are reading a book you can actually feel the magic that she hides in herself.So i prefer more books, less technology ! :D

Picture of Dino Sutrak
by Dino Sutrak - Sunday, 7 December 2014, 4:23 PM

Hmm..for me,new technology is better,because of that,you can easily find anything you want :D