Discussion Forum

7.7 Stress - friend or foe

Picture of Anita Jankovic
7.7 Stress - friend or foe
by Anita Jankovic - Monday, 16 February 2015, 12:47 AM

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines stress as a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances. We generally use the word "stress" when we feel that everything seems to have become too much - we are overloaded and wonder whether we really can cope with the pressures placed upon us.

What stresses you out and how you deal with it? How do you respond to stress? What activities or strategies help you relieve stress? 

Do you believe stress can be your friend? Watch the video below in which a health psychologist puts forward a radical, startling research finding: Instead of fearing stress, befriend it. Share what you think about this.

Picture of Vladimir Aleksic
Re: 7.7 Stress - friend or foe
by Vladimir Aleksic - Tuesday, 24 February 2015, 2:20 AM

Well, I consider stress as a friend and as a foe. It's mostly because of my work. I work with groups of small children, aged between 5-9. It's a little bit hard to work with them in that age,because they have other things in their mind. But, at the end of the day, that stress relieves me, because I know i will make them better persons tommorow. :)

Picture of Miljana Djorovic
by Miljana Djorovic - Saturday, 28 February 2015, 6:21 PM

I was thinking my whole life that stress can only be your foe, but after watching this amazing video it made me realize things differently. I've dealt with stress in many situations and I always experience similar symptoms, like nervousness, depression, low concentration etc.

I like to be alone in those times because I know I can be quite curt which is not good for the people I live with, i.e. my family. I go to my room and think about what happened, why that stresses me out and what should I do to feel better. Even though it lasts longer than a day it really helps me.

On the other side, the lady in this video taught me that we can turn stress into our friend by motivating ourselves and reaching our goal(s). I'll try this technique for sure!

Picture of Tijana Gusnic
by Tijana Gusnic - Sunday, 1 March 2015, 6:34 PM

I consider stress as a friend and as a foe as well . There are so many situation when stress takes over me , and that is usually when i have exames or when I have something to do and  I'm not sure to myself and my actions. 

Well,I am usually nervous , I dont want to  talk with anyone , I can eat most of the time, and I usually argue with everybody.

Strateges that I use is that I go outside to run ,or walk with my dog ,that the time when I relax and get rid of it. I think that the stress as the foe can bring as anything good. 

And as the lady said I think that stress can be friend because we can motivate ourself.

Picture of Marija Bajin
by Marija Bajin - Wednesday, 4 March 2015, 9:45 PM

Firstly,I must say that people nowadays have less patience for other people,because the rhythm of life,and that is one of the main causes of stress. 
Same as Tijana, I feel stressed when I have exams,when professors don't recognize my efforts, when I'm good with someone,and in the end it turns out that he is really bad. In such situations I usually sleep and try not to think about it...then I repeat to myself "Who knows why this is good".
I think that stress is our friend (same as pain). If there is no stress in our lifes,how would we know to appreciate life when everything is in order? 

Picture of Nikola Kragovic
by Nikola Kragovic - Sunday, 1 March 2015, 8:43 PM

Stress is both friend a foe. When I'm stressed out, it stimulates my senses in a sense that I am alerted and willing to overcome whatever or whoever is stressing me out. So in a way it's a friend, letting my body know that this obstacle needs to be overcome and beat.

Stress is also a foe in a sense that it's exhausting, the want to pull your hair out and keep you up at night. The fact that stress is a negative force upon your body is the drive to overcome whatever the situation requires.