Discussion Forum

6.10 Highschool vs. university

Picture of Anita Jankovic
6.10 Highschool vs. university
by Anita Jankovic - Monday, 22 December 2014, 12:20 AM

So, you've survived your first semester at the University, you are now experienced freshmen. Think back to your high school and tell us in what ways it is different from university. How is life different when you're a student? What is the difference between highschool teachers and university professors? Are the rules different? What do you think about the image? 

Structure your post carefully and make sure you support your opinion with arguments and specific examples.

After you post your answer, please read what others have posted and give comment.

Finally, remember to review course policy on participating in discussion forums in the description of this Forum.

Picture of Miljana Djorovic
Re: 6.10 Highschool vs. university
by Miljana Djorovic - Saturday, 17 January 2015, 12:41 AM

Well, I like the image you posted and I think that there is a big difference between high school and university.

The hardest thing for me was to get used to new professors and try to fit in. As a pupil you have a homeroom teacher who knows all your problems and you can always talk to him if you have any complications or misunderstandings with other teachers. Me and my schoolmates had a really good relation with our homeroom teacher and we talked every day. Suddenly you're at the University where you no longer have the person 'who is responsible for your behaviour' and it's hard to accept.

As for the rules-they are very different, too. In high school, teachers watch every step you make  and wait for a mistake :)  If you're restless during the class, a teacher will throw you out , write down your name in the book and probably send you to visit and explain yourself to a headmaster. University professors have a distinctive approach and if you're a talkative person they will probably just tell you to calm down and lower your voice because you're free to go at almost any time you want.

Also, highschool teachers must always know where are you or where do you want to go during their class because they have to keep files about the pupils.

I mustn't forget one of the main things-books and learning. I don't think I need to explain because you all know what it is about- too much material to study.

Picture of Aleksandra Mihajlovic
by Aleksandra Mihajlovic - Friday, 23 January 2015, 5:06 PM

High school wasn't so bad,because we always had someone to watch over our behavior,and leading us on the right way so that we can become someone in the future.Yes, we do get punished if we do something wrong but I think it's for our own good.

The rules are different, because in high school you are punished for your behavior or they send you to the principal's office, while at university, these rules do not apply, usually professors would say to keep quiet or if we do not listen to them, then we can go.

High school teachers always keep an eye on us if we do something wrong they would admonish us so we don do it again.

I like the picture because it's true.

Picture of Tijana Gusnic
by Tijana Gusnic - Sunday, 25 January 2015, 11:51 AM

High school is very different of university because the professors are  different and the whole program of learning . In high school we learn a lot of things that we will not use in our life later ,and in the university we learn all the things that we need for work. I think that high school is more relaxed then university and I may have a better way around there .I was scared how I can handle the University ,but at the end it is not so bad. Yes I agree that the rules are different , and our behavior is different because we are young and we don't think the same as now on the University. Life as a student is the same ,because we have obligations in the University as in the High school. I love the picture ,because it's real.

Picture of Tijana Arsic
by Tijana Arsic - Sunday, 25 January 2015, 9:59 PM

When you finish high school, then starting a new part in our lives.Everything is different, everything is new.We meet new friends, and we understand what it means to live independently. In high school we learn a lot of things, but in the university we lear much more. Peope say that the most beautiful period in life is when you are a student. We'll see if this is true... :-)

Picture of Vladimir Aleksic
by Vladimir Aleksic - Sunday, 25 January 2015, 5:47 PM

Well, since we are freshmen year, it's really hard to adjust to life at university. It takes some time, all new faces, teachers, different enviroment. We are young, we are ready to try new things in life, to take risks. It's a whole new system of teaching and grading at university. But I choose university because I personally like ti try new things. 

Picture of Katarina Savkovic
by Katarina Savkovic - Sunday, 25 January 2015, 11:07 PM

Well, my colleagues have pretty much said it all :)

First of all, the picture definitelly describes our educational journey and the changes it goes through while we grow up. It also answers many of your questions.
We have more freedom as college students and we are allowed to make our own choices, so we choose for ourselves just how hard we will study and whether or not we are going to attend the next class (of course there is a limited number of classes we can skip).
So, we have the opportunity to learn from our professors, but if we choose to go through a lesson on our own, then, why not? Our professors realize this and don't put as much pressure on us as the high-school professors did. 
I like the rules- there aren't many of them and they are not so strict ( or maybe that's the way I see them). Final summation: college is awesome (exams not included). We get more freedom to be who we wan't to be and learn in the way.